Darling Dress for Baby or Doll
This dress features a full skirt, cummerbund with bow and wide collar in matching gingham, embellished with pintucks, French lace, satin ribbon and embroidery. The back closes with small mother-of-pearl buttons. This pattern will fit either a 24” Middleton Doll or 6-9 month old baby.
The center front of the wide circular collar is embroidered with a delicate floral vine then trimmed in lace and ribbon. The Heirloom techniques used are stitching lace to gathered-lace and lace to fabric, which is then accented by a narrow strip of ribbon. The neckline is trimmed in gathered lace and entredeux.
Entredeux is a “ladder” trim used in Heirloom sewing as a “bridge” between lace and fabric, fabric to fabric, or lace to lace, as well as a trim all by itself. In the picture, you will see I am using Tiger Tape to hold the gathers in place until stitched. The same technique is used to stitch gathered-lace to lace.
gathered lace to entredeux
Pintucks are created using a grooved foot and a twin needle. A slightly stiffer fabric works best, so if your fabric is light-weight, such as batiste, spray starch before stitching. Following the groove on the foot creates even spacing between pintucks.
On this project, the pintucks are also scalloped. Work slowly as you are using a double needle. Pivot at the top of the scallop, with the needle down. Drawing the curves and pivot points on the fabric will allow for uniform scallops and points (make sure you test that your lines will come out!).
I modified this dress for an Easter outfit. The client wanted a pink dress trimmed in white, no lace or collar. I used quality Swiss Batiste for the pink and white cotton sateen for the trim and cummerbund. The skirt is finished with the scalloped pintucks.
baby dress for Easter
The sleeves are gathered and trimmed with a band of the matching gingham fabric.
Regardless of trims or embellishments, this is a cute dress for dolls OR babies!
Note: I have a few of the 24" Middleton Dolls still in stock. Contact me if interested.
My granddaughter liked a tote bag I had made during a Martha Pullen Licensing so much that she asked me to make one for her friend's birthday. She picked out the fabrics and I got busy!
As the original pattern creates a LARGE tote bag, I adjusted the measurements a bit to better fit an 8-year-old's stature. The quilting was created by stitching the main fabric onto batting. I used a 1" gridded pellon and followed the lines, stitching every 2" on a diagonal. I can't sew that straight free-hand! I used a walking foot to prevent puckers.
I used the blue 'frosted' fabric for the outside of the bag. One side has 2 vinyl pockets, trimmed in an accent fabric. The bottom and straps are purple 'frosted' fabric.
The other side of the outside is a zippered pocket which I trimmed in the lining fabric for a "pop" of color.
The lining is a zebra print with 3 open pockets on one side (purple) and a zippered pocket on the other (in blue). The bottom corners of both the outside and lining were stitched to create a box pleat.
It was a hit with my granddaughter and I am now making another for her own!
Wonderful Seattle Weather and quilting!
Seattle and the Pacific Northwest are beautiful with sunny skies and super warm days! The mountain has been "out" in all her glory !!!
My daughter-in-law's mother was moving (it's been a busy few months for our family!) so I made this throw for her as a house warming gift.
This fabric was in my stash and in one of the first boxes I unpacked. There was a center panel and eight coordinating fat quarters, plus about a 1/2 yard in an ninth print.
The first border, sometimes called a "piano" border, was created from the eight prints.
These strips were sewn together, cut into the width I wanted and stitched together for the lengths needed (sides and top/bottom).
I did not have enough fabric for the outside border to go all the way around. Luckily, there was enough of the border strips to make corner squares. Quilting was a simple stitch-in-the-ditch around the center panel and piano border.
I chose a beige backing which was rolled to the front to bind the edges. She really liked the final result!
More quilts, bags and other garments to come in future posts!